what's missing?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

a dangerous mind


careful what you wish for



aside from being a great hockey player and a thoughtful and kind friend, mark hullopeter is also a master of sensible footwear. i have been unconsciously aping his choice in men's casual sport shoes for a couple of buying cycles now, and have since come to realize that there's little point in not conscioulsy doing so. i could spend time and energy trying to find the "right shoe for me", but why bother when mark has already blazed a path to affordable and understated versatilty through the jungle of unncessarily overabundant choices. i will simply become his shoe stalker.

i have also joined his socks-is-socks revolution, a movement predicated on the idea that you don't need to wear matching socks. the minutes you save by not sorting and grouping and looking for a matching pair could be spent doing any number of more important or enjoyable things. sometimes people will stare. sometimes even your friends might ridicule you for being "lazy" or "unkempt" or a "moron". but as mark teaches us, you have to let that which does not matter truly slide.




2 Comments:

At February 16, 2005 11:28 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I can vouch for the sock thing. I've caught a lot more trains by approximately 90 seconds since I've instituted the policy. Who looks at socks anyway?

 
At February 18, 2005 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the all-the-same-type sock route only to have it thwarted by my then boyfriend. Though not grounds for dumping, it was certainly to my discomfort to be left with his nasty ass no elastic socks while he got my reinforced heel-toe levi's brand socks. In recent years I have been forced into darkness in my daily sockings and find that I have to sort or else find myself in the tutone bracket, which, as a friend of dorothy is a crime I simply cannot commit. I know they're different and spend the whole day trying to keep my ankles hidden... it's like an eating disorder for footwear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home